Whatever course you’re doing, the chances are you’ll have used Microsoft Office when doing your assignments and presentations. The good news is, Microsoft Office for UK students is free! Here’s how to get it and the benefits of using it.
Why use Microsoft Office?
Create better documents
Don’t settle for handing in a drab piece of work that looks like the dog chewed it. With Microsoft Office, you can create great looking documents complete with images, charts, tables of contents, you name it. And it doesn’t just make your document look better, it helps you improve the content of your assignments too. For example, in Microsoft Word, you can access:
- A spelling and grammar checker as well as a thesaurus and translation features to take your writing to the next level.
- Research tools which help you cite sources and add footnotes.
- Formatting options for documents so you can change fonts, insert headings, and apply themes to your documents for a more professional look.
- Sharing features which are great for group projects-you can work with other members of your group in real time, no matter where you are.
Need to analyse and organise data? Excel is perfect for the job
Microsoft Excel allows you to:
- Analyse data-making it the perfect tool for students on maths degree programmes and related courses.
- Organise data- what better way to keep track of your assignments and exams than putting it all in a spreadsheet?
- Need to present research findings? Excel can help you create charts and graphs.
- Are you studying accounting and finance? Excel makes light work of complex financial calculations.
Create winning presentations
PowerPoint is probably one of the most used apps in Microsoft Office for UK students. Creating presentations is a breeze with PowerPoint as it allows you to seamlessly add images, videos, and animations. You can also create a custom layout so it will look as good as the content hopefully is!
It helps you collaborate more easily
Need to be able to share documents securely with fellow students and lecturers, anytime, anywhere? Microsoft Office has got you! One Drive, a cloud storage service, is included with Microsoft Office.
So is Microsoft Office for UK students worth having?
Our verdict? It’s an essential companion for your time at college or university. Mainly because:
- You get a full suite of the latest versions of Microsoft Office apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote.
- You get cloud storage with One Drive-save and access your files from anywhere, on any device.
- It’s so easy to share files and collaborate on something in real time-it’s a must for your group projects.
- You get access to a huge number of learning resources and tutorials from Microsoft on how to get the best out of the different apps.
How to get Microsoft Office for UK students
Students and staff at universities, colleges and schools which are licensed through the Microsoft Volume Licensing programme are eligible to get Microsoft Office for free. According to Microsoft, 99.9% of universities, 87% of colleges and a many UK schools are eligible.
To get it, enter your academic email address on the Office website. You’ll be asked to log in through your college or university’s online portal and if you’re eligible, you’ll be redirected to a page where you can download the software.